If you’re part of a motor vehicle accident, you can expect to be faced with a variety of challenges in the immediate future.
While your health and safety is always your top priority, it won’t be long before you’re on the phone with your insurance company to file a claim.
This sounds simple enough, but the claims process can be full of many twists and turns.
Here are some of the many things you can do to protect your rights during this difficult time:
- Call your insurance agent as soon as possible
- Review your insurance policy from start to finish, giving you a clear idea of what you can expect from your insurer
- Take detailed notes of every conversation with insurance company representatives, including the name of the person, time and date, contact information and the details you discussed
- Take pictures of your injuries, damages to your vehicle and the accident scene
- Keep receipts associated with any losses resulting from the accident, such as those for lodging, food and medical treatment
Along with the above, you must be honest with your insurance company at all times. This doesn’t mean you have to answer every question, but there’s never a good time to stretch the truth.
You hope you never have to make a car insurance claim, but there’s a chance you’ll one day be part of an accident.
When you take steps to protect your legal rights, you’ll feel much better about your ability to make a claim, receive compensation and get back on the road in the near future.